What is Narcissistic Personality Disorder?
Narcissistic personality disorder is a type of personality disorder in which a person has excessive admiration for themselves. In this mental condition, they give deep importance to their problems and lack empathy for others. Even the slightest criticism affects their self-esteem a lot and they might get into depression or anxiety due to this.
Narcissistic personality disorder affects relationships a lot. the individual gets disappointed or unhappy and believes that they deserve better. The extreme confidence of the person causes problems in financial affairs and at the workplace. Whenever they are not given the attention and special favor, they get agitated.
Life around a person suffering from narcissistic personality disorder is always unfulfilling and they don't enjoy doing anything. A therapist uses several treatments for narcissistic personality disorder but the most effective ones are client centred therapy and talk therapy.
- Increased need for admiration from others
- Extreme sense of self-importance
- Exploits other people's thoughts and viewpoints
- Constantly demeans, bullies, and intimidate others
- Starts living in the fantasy world, like magical thinking
- Grandiose narcissism: In this condition, the individual feels that they are above everyone, and can be termed as egomaniacs. They believe that they are too good for anything average, and want to be associated with high-status things or people.
- Vulnerable narcissism: In this condition, the individual is hypersensitive and reflects introversive self-absorbedness even though the criticism isn't that bad to bother. They constantly seek reassurance from their closed ones. Either they will have a positive self-image, leading to excessive pride, or a negative self-image, leading to excessive shame or humiliation.
A person having narcissistic personality disorder will never think themselves as wrong, and might not seek treatment at all. It gets difficult for them to accept the fact, as they would find it an insult to their self-esteem. Even if they do seek help for their problem, they will not open to the therapist in the right way.
However, if you find your personality trait to be similar to the symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder, then reach out to a trusted mental health professional. You will get an overwhelming feeling of sadness or irritation at first, but with the right treatment, your life will become more productive and beneficial.
There is not any treatment available for narcissistic personality disorder via medication, however therapies are the best way to prevent difficult complications. The therapist will use a combination of below-given therapies for narcissistic personality disorder:
- Gestalt therapy
- Client-centered Therapy
Counseling outcomes for Narcissistic personality Disorder:
- Tips for building plans that won't affect others: As in this disorder, the individual has an inflated sense of self-importance, they tend to hurt others to get what they want. Through regular counseling sessions for Narcissistic personality disorder, you will explore more about the society and will learn closeness. As a result, there won't be any envy or negative thoughts relating to criticism.
- Strategies for building boundaries: It gets difficult for a person suffering through narcissistic personality disorder to build healthy boundaries for themselves and their closed ones. You will also learn more about accepting the right favors instead of questioning it. The client centered therapy for the disorder works effectively for a person to become patient, calm, and get over the feeling of vulnerability, humiliation, and insecurity.
- Understanding the underlying problems and getting over it: Narcissistic personality disorder is usually caused by environmental, neurobiological, and genetic factors. Sometimes it gets complicated to understand the right cause, but through regular counselling sessions, the therapist will more likely understand the link and connection so as to give a personalized treatment. Narcissistic personality disorder has several complications like drug misuse, physical health problems, suicidal thoughts; however, with sessions you will find the right way to overcome all of it.
- Importance of relationships and bonds: Relationship difficulties are among the major complications of narcissistic personality disorder. As the individual tries to be superior all the time, and shows an haughty mannerism they hurt the other person a lot. Moreover, they even get envious of others and believe that the partner is getting jealous of their power, success, beauty, etc.
They insist the sense of perfectionism, which is hurtful. But with gestalt therapy and EFT for narcissistic personality disorder, you will effectively resolve the significant interpersonal problems without appearing as superior.
- Get out of narcissistic orbit: A narcissistic personality lives in a fantasy world propped out of self deception and magical thinking. They often glorify themselves like their power, brilliance, and looks. Moreover, it becomes their habit to control others, as a result, they stay in their orbit, which is harmful for everyone. By attending therapy sessions for Narcissistic personality disorder regularly, you will learn rationalised thinking that will help you get out of your orbit effectively.